Okay, seems like absolutely freakin’ forever since I wrote a blog post that wasn’t all about cover reveals and giveaways and new releases. But today, I have a few updates and insights I wanted to share.
Now, you’re going to have to bear with me. Because said updates are going to require a certain amount of honesty and soul bearing from Yours truly, but I figured, as my readers, you all have a right to know the bare bones of what’s happening/going to be happening with my writing. So, here goes.
First Bit of News
Holloway Pack 5: Cornered is not going to be the next book I write. Yes, I have advertised the fact that it will be written. Yes, I’m running the contest for my readers to help name one of the forefront character’s. However, it will most likely be the end of this year before I dive deeper into that project than the few notes and small opening I currently have.
Read on to discover why:
1) It’s hard to admit but Holloway Pack sales aren’t awesome. Yes, they’re pretty steady. Yes, they’ve made a slight incline with each new title that has been released. However, they are not awesome enough for me to continue making Holloway Pack a priority at this time. So, even when I do start on Cornered toward the end of the year, I won’t be pushing it out of me as fast as possible, and if another project ends up taking precedence, then it will have to be worked on around that.
2) I have a LOT of ideas swimming around in my head. And I mean A-FREAKING-LOT! I’ve waited a LONG time to explore those other ideas, constantly making Holloway Pack priority and staying on track with that goal. Now my head is ready to do a little alternate exploring. More than ready. So, I’m giving in on that and listening to my muse.
3) Tying in to number 2, I’m ready to begin exploring other publishing avenues. Be it a different publisher, or maybe even the agent route, I’m ready. Whilst I LOVE J. Taylor Publishing (make no mistake about that), it has always been my intent to have my finger(s) in more than one pie. And, yep, as I said, I’m ready to try making that happen. I also think my writing is ready for that. However, whilst I’m not committed to JTP for future Holloway Pack stories, the rest of the series WILL mostly likely continue to be published via them, because that’s the way I want to roll.
Second Bit of News
See number 2 up there in that section above? Yep, I’m going to be expanding on that a little. You see, a few of the ideas I have rolling around in my head and keeping me awake shout a little louder and wave a little harder than the others. I have a saucy paranormal romance that revolves around wolfies way different to the ones portrayed in Holloway Pack stories. I have a sci-fi/dystopian that keeps poking at my brain. And I have a couple of contemporary NA’s, and a couple of YA’s set in senior school/college. One of the nagging stories, in particular, is a post apocalyptic NA. And THIS will most likely be my next WIP. If you lookie down in the widgets at the bottom of the page, then you’ll notice I have a few progress bars. One of them is titled GRASP. That’s where I’m going next.
So, why NA and not YA. Well, just in case you’re wondering, no it isn’t because I plan for my late-teen aged characters to be getting a boner during desperate times and relieving themselves of the stress of their days by romping and snogging or any other kind of sauciness (though, I certainly don’t mind reading those titles labelled NA for that reason 😉 ). Nope, GRASP will be marketed as NA mostly because of the violence and graphic scenes this novel could potentially contain.
Third Bit of News
One of the other reasons my writing (and the creation of the other Holloway Pack stories) might be taking a bit longer is due to other changes I’ve made in my life.
Editing. Yep, I’ve begun editing. My first editing job occurred at the very end of last year after a very good writer buddy of mine dropped a couple of hints that I (uncharacteristically) picked up on. This particular author is planning to publish a 7 book series, and I’d only worked my way through book 1. When she asked if I’d be interested in continuing, I said YES! Because her first book was (is) AWESOME, and I’m now editing the second, which is equally as awesome. And those kinds of jobs are pretty rewarding. I’ve also started taking on freelance copy editing jobs over the course of this year. Unfortunately, I’m not the kind of person who can just switch their head over like Worzel Gummidge, which means I’m either in editing mode … or I’m in writing mode—and so again, I have to do some occasional shifting of priorities.
Okay, I figure these insights into what’s going on with me might have sparked a few questions, so I’m hopefully going to give you the answers to those here.
1) YES! Holloway Pack 5: Cornered will still be written. Yes! The Holloway Pack series WILL still be completed in its entirety. It will just take me a little longer than initially planned, that’s all.
2) Yes, as stated above, the rest of the Holloway Pack series WILL be published. Eventually. That’s a promise.
3) Yes! One way or another, you WILL get to read the post apocalyptic NA I plan on writing. Because I vow to get this one out there by whatever means possible—meaning, if my first-choice avenues are dead-ends, then I will keep going until I find one that isn’t.
4) Yes! I will still be writing. In all honestly, I have spent the past few months considering my career choice in writing, mostly due to sales and whatnot and wanting to be able to contribute higher amounts of income to my family, but I think I finally have my head on straight. I just needed a good talking to.
5) Yes! So long as I’m not brain deep in editing land on one of my freelance jobs, I will be trying my best to put in more appearances on my social networking pages/accounts. Hopefully, I will see you there.
And I think that’s it. However, if you have any more questions, or anything else you need/want to know, feel free to ask and I will answer as honestly as I’m able. Thanks for stopping by to read.
(p.s. sorry about the length of the post)