Goodness! So much has happened this year, I doubt I’ll even remember half of it to mention—not just in my writing career but in my private life, too. Let’s give it a go, though, and see what I can come up with.
What happened in 2011 in Jab-Land?
– I received my first ever acceptance for my writing. Yep. Golden Visions Magazine loved my short story enough to want to publish it (they even wanted to pay me, too) … and …
– On the same day as that, I received my YES! from a publisher. Yep. A well known romance publisher (who I shan’t name as I turned them down after reading the contract) wanted to publish my novella, Instinct—the very same one that will be published this week via J. Taylor Publishing … which leads me to …
– I signed with J. Taylor Publishing for Darkness & Light. Within weeks, they asked me if I’d be interested in signing with them for Instinct, also. I’ve barely looked back since, and have gone on to sign for Marked (my short in the Into the Unknown anthology), Fated Encounter (my free short I wrote for my readers), and another novella (which I shall be screaming about to you all very shortly).
– Writing wise, I completed the following: Marked and Fated Encounter as mentioned above. Halloween Hunting, my fun short I wrote in October for Ethan. Eternal—a Sean & Jem prequel novella. And I also spent the entire year working with Ethan Holloway to compose a workable draft of Caged: the third Holloway Pack novel, which I hope will be available in 2013. I’ve also begun writing a short story I hope will be available next winter, as well as the opening for the fourth Holloway Pack novel. And maybe it’s best I not mention all the other ideas I have jotted down that have sprung from the recesses of my head.
– In July, I became a debut author. I got to hold a copy of MY novel with MY name on the cover! Let me just pause there to express how that made me feel: WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! Get it? I was/still am mega-excited.
– One Rebecca Hart created a circle on the writing site I use (Scribophile.com) called The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pens and with that circle came one of the greatest support groups I’ve ever been a part of. I love me some Pens Ladies.
– I also discovered Goodreads and made some new awesome online friends—some I hope to one day meet.
– Oh, yes! Mustn’t forget Twitter. I finally figured out what it’s all about.
– And blog hops, too. Who’da thunk I’d be participating in those like a pro?
– In the summer, Mr B bought me a Kindle and I finally grew to understand the lure of the digital book. It’s been said a thousand times and more: I didn’t think I’d deal with switching the smell of a new paperback for an electronic device. But I did deal, and I now ADORE my Kindle—even more so as I have all of my own titles on there and get to stare at them as often as I like … and …
– In an almost oxymoronic fashion, my collection of signed books began. At first I won a signed copy of Blood Trinity (Dianna Love/Sherrilyn Kenyon), but I have since been sent (either gifted or won) a signed copy of Aimee Laine’s Little White Lies, a copy of Cutlass & Musket signed by Rebecca Hart who has a story in there, a signed copy of Somnium: Halos 1 by Keri Lake and a copy of Fangtales signed by Kelly Said who has a story in there. I definitely hope to add to this pile throughout 2012.
– Talking of others’ books, 2011 started the beginning of my name appearing in acknowledgements. It is such an honour for another author to believe I have offered something of use to them with regards to their work. And to see that showcased for the world to see always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (and often makes me giggle quite moronically when I think no one else is watching).
– As for my private life? Dude, I don’t even know where to begin. There have been job losses, bike crashes and bodily damage, my boy’s first date and first girlfriend, illness, dyslexia—all made easier to contend with by the goodness of life, love, friends, celebrations and coastal walks.
Looking at my list, I’ve probably barely touched on everything that happened this past year, but these are all the ones that reverberate loudest. If there are any I’ve missed that you think I shouldn’t have, please feel free to shout (at me).
What about yourselves? What goodness (or trials) has 2011 held for you?
HERE’S TO 2012! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!