I’ve had a great week!
I don’t often say that—not about an entire week. But I’m saying it about this week. One good occurrence has followed another, and I’ve spent the entire week smiling like I have a Snickers stuck sideways in my mouth.
When I started writing, I did so purely for selfish reasons. I never planned to share my work. I never planned to write obsessively like a drug deprived addict. I did it because I had ideas swirling in my head and I wanted to indulge myself. Heck, most of my writing still is self indulgent (luckily, other folks enjoy what I love, too). And now, two years down the line, everything seems to be happening, all those notions I daren’t allow myself to dream about (because dreams can too easily be shattered) are becoming a reality. And this week has gone a massively long way to making the reality a little hard to disbelieve.
Those who visit my blog will already know most of what’s been going on in Jab-land, as will my followers on Twitter or Facebook. However, I thought I’d recap, as well as add in all the behind the scenes happenings that have all contributed to the stupid grin on my face.
- As you probably know, I got to share the book trailer for Darkness & Light. That was pretty major for me, and I’m still a little stunned about it being on YouTube and Google-able.
- My publisher shared with me the final cover for INSTINCT, a novella written from Sean’s POV (and a prequel to Darkness & Light), which will be released January 1st 2012. I can’t wait to share it with everyone else, but I have to wait until the summer for the reveal of that one.
- About a month ago, I entered a blogiversary contest run by the delightful Rebecca Hart. I wrote a short story from the requisite theme: anniversary. My short was called THREE WEEKS and was a lot of fun to write—it also got me out of a writing funk when I needed a break from my current NiP. On Monday, I found out I’d won 1st place, and as a prize, I’ll be receiving a signed print copy of Cutlass & Musket—tales of pirate skulduggery, which features fiction by Rebecca Hart. I’m absolutely stoked—especially as I have that book on my reading list at Goodreads.
- Some of you might have picked up a few weeks back that I wrote a short story from Sean Holloway’s POV (a character from Darkness & Light). Well, I sent it to my editor, the publisher accepted it, and my short story, MARKED, will be published as part of an anthology, INTO THE UNKNOWN, December 1st 2011. Yep! This week, I signed my THIRD contract. Can you believe that?
- I’ve also had a glimpse at the cover for INTO THE UNKNOWN … another one I can’t share (sorry) with the public … yet! But don’t worry. Soon, my friends, soon I shall reveal it.
- To top it all, my editor sent me a photograph. There’s a chance it’s already been viewed by any Twitter followers, as I was way too impatient to wait until today to share it. But I have photographic evidence of the first ever print copy of DARKNESS & LIGHT
… and … it is now only three weeks until it will be available for purchase by the public. How freakin’ frackin’ awesome is that?
That, ladies and gentlemen, is why I am on cloud 9.
I’m just waiting for someone to pinch me, to wake me up—although it would be pretty horrid if that were to happen—because I can’t believe how many positive things are happening in my life right now.
If all this can go right for me, it can for you, too. All you have to do is keep working, keep at it no matter how hard it might seem at the time … and, most of all, keep believing.
What about you guys? Have you got any news to share? How’s your writing journey going?